EEL4712: Digital Design, Fall 2012
Dept. of Electrical and
· Office Benton Hall, Room 313
· Office hours: M, T, W 1 2 pm, Th 11 am 12 noon
Telephone: (352) 392
· Email: email@example.com
TAs: TA Lab schedule and office hours (All office hours are in NEB 281, unless specified otherwise)
· Gautam Dash: firstname.lastname@example.org
o Office hour: W, Th 3 4 pm, F 4 5 pm (All TA office hours are in NEB 222)
· Sam Kerns: email@example.com
o Office hour: M, T 3 4 pm (All TA office hours are in NEB 222)
· MWF 4th period (10:40 11:30 pm), Larsen Hall 330
· Brown, S. D. and Vranesic, Z. G., "Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design", Latest Edition, McGraw-Hill
Altera DE0 Board:
· The DE0 Board will be provided to you (included in your lab fee)
Design Software: Altera Quartus II Web Edition Software, latest version.
· Download Altera's Quartus installation file.
· Test 1 (20%)
· Test 2 (25%)
· Labs (25%)
· Final Exam (30%)
There are no scheduled makeup tests. Makeup
tests are handled case
The objective of this course is to study the fundamentals, methodologies, and techniques for the structured design of digital systems, using the state of the art technologies and design environments and tools.
Review of commonly
· Programmable logic devices: PAL's, PLA's, PROM's, CPLD's, and FPGA's
II. Digital design methodology and techniques for finite state machines (FSM) and FGPAs
· ASM fundamentals and design methods
· Implementation methods - traditional, MUX, ROM, "one-hot"
· Design and Implementation techniques using FPGA's
· Testing and design for testing
· Digital design Examples (labs)
III. Design languages, tools, and environments (lab-intensive)
· Design life cycle using model digital development environments
· Design specification: graphical, VHDL
· Logic synthesis
· Simulation: functional and timing using VHDL testbenches
· Timing analysis
· Device program
Every assignment and exam is subject to the requirements stated in the Academic Honesty Student Guide . The items listed in the Academic Honesty Guidelines in that document will be strictly enforced.
Accommodations for students with disabilities:
Students requesting special classroom accommodation must first register with the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office will provide documentation to the student who must then provide this documentation to the Instructor.